Woodwork

I developed a strong interest in woodworking from my grandfather. He taught himself everything about it when he was already old. It was an after hours hobby that almost became full-time. He loved it, and I loved being around when it was possible. He taught me a lot.

As a result of this I selected woodworking as one of my subjects during high school. I fully embraced it and did very well (yes, I have proof of it!). For my final year I made a kiaat cupboard which is one of my proudest achievements. These days I use it as a tv-cabinet.

My handmade kiaat cabinet

My woodworking teacher told me how he had to build two speaker boxes for the school hall. While he made it there were two large cracks, one in each speaker. In order to get the boxes to be effective for what it was intended, he had to make a decision. Either he starts from scratch, or he had to use what he already started. Each crack was filled with woodfiller, sanded and varnished. This was done so effectively that none of us could even see that there ever was a crack!

Jesus was also a woodworker (Matt 13:55). He grew up in the family business and did what his earthly father did, as was the tradition then. He learned all the tricks of the trade, but not only that, He also learned about people.

Like my woodwork teacher Jesus also knew that furniture can be fixed. More than that he  knew that people can be fixed, or healed. We all have our issues, but Jesus can fix them. We look at the mountain in front of us, He looks at the person. Nothing is too big, or too small for Him. 

Let Him fix you...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do not be an idiot

On Broadway

Sitting in my coffeeshop