Master of ceremonies

1 Corinthians 13 verse 1

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.



I used to present a lot of training at work. When standing in front of an audiance you have to choose your words very carefully. What you say and what you do is listened to and watched very carefully.

The writer here talks about the tongues of both men and angels. How do I speak with the tongue of a man? Is it merely talking? Does he write about the fact that we have to spread the Word of God. Does the writer address the words we say in public since we are being watched?

I believe that our words make a difference. We are being watched and what we say can make a lifetime of difference to someone else. We have to spread the Word, that is one of the primary tasks that Jesus gives us. We have to talk, but we also have to walk. Walk-the-walk.

The verse adds: "but do not have love". The way I speak indicates if I have love. Gentle, kind words as opposed to harsh words or gossip. But its not words alone. To indicate that I have love I have to back it up with my deeds. My actions have to follow what I am saying. It must be sincere.

I don't want to be a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. I want to love, and thus adjust my actions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do not be an idiot

On Broadway

Sitting in my coffeeshop